Thursday, July 23, 2015

"Focus" - Review



This movie review has been sitting in my drafts for a lil while because I wasn't sure if it was worth reviewing. I liked the movie, but I feel indifferent about this film, it wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't bad either. It was pretty entertaining from start to finish actually. The beginning scene was funny, but the ending kind of ruined it for me. His father shoots and almost kills him at the end just to sell the con and to make it believable. He's working for the enemy, but secretly pulling a con  with his son; "Nicky", played by Will Smith. He plays a charming, successful, veteran con artist. He works with a crew of equally talented con-artists and pick pockets in New Orleans. They all work together, using slight of hand and team work in large crowds at big events. They can walk through a crowd of people and steal 50 pieces of jewelry & wallets within 5 minutes, and no one notices or feels a thing while being robbed.

"Nicky" runs a successful operation of different hustles and employs dozens of people. His team of con artists consist of 2 main guys; "Farhad", played by Adrian Martinez and "Horst", played by Brennan Brown. Then he takes the gorgeous, rookie con artist; "Jess" under his wing (played by Margot Robbie). He teaches her new tricks and hustles, then tests her before letting her join his crew.

Of course, they develop a romantic relationship before he abandons her and she eventually uses all the skills he taught her against him. This movie reminds me of "Oceans 11" the way they pull off these elaborate scams with such precision. I liked that aspect of the film the most, plus I pretty much enjoy EVERY movie Will Smith has done during his long & illustrious career. I give "Focus" a  5/ 10 (I would've rated it higher if not for the ending).

No comments:

Post a Comment